Monday, February 23, 2009

Practically Local


Now that the jet lag is wearing off, I think I’m coherent enough to give you a somewhat accurate and hopefully amusing account of my first week in this city. With a little assistance from the Starbuck’s across the street, and my Simply Sleep tablets, I’ve been able to thoroughly confuse my body clock into thinking I’ve always been in this time zone. Thankfully I haven’t been staring at the ceiling at 3am wondering if I should get up and make lunch. Siesta patterns aside, I’m growing more appreciative of my previous YWAM treks that have taught me to acclimate to new cultures fairly quickly. Fortunately for me, Hong Kong is so multicultural that walking down the street feels a lot like a United Nations gathering, so I’m not constantly sticking out like sore thumb (my face doesn’t exactly scream ‘local’ but that might be asking too much). So after my first week learning the lay of the land, I’ve learned some important lessons that may be useful for you future travels to my new home: #1 It’s impossible to survive without an octopus card, which is a little plastic pass that can be electronically loaded with money and used not just for the purchase of bus and train tickets, but in the majority of restaurants and shops as well (rumor has it the next step is implanting it in your wrist, but I’ll jet outta here before that one). #2 I’ve become an expert in the multiples of seven, as the exchange rate from Hong Kong to US dollars is currently 7.7 to 1. #3 I’ve found that you can’t buy tortillas or natural peanut butter at the grocery store, but you can buy as many duck tongues and chicken feet as you can carry. I’m brave, but maybe not that brave. #4 On any average day, I will walk the equivalent of approximately one marathon. Unless I develop some willingness to sacrifice my stilettos that are perhaps more appropriate for a 5k, I’ll have to opt for the flip flops. #5 No matter how much quality time I spend with my hair straightener, the 100% humidity will always win out in the end. I will learn to love the curls that the good Lord gave me.
I’m sure this list will grow to a small novel in the coming months; I’m currently accepting offers for a book deal. Anyway, it hasn’t all been fun and games as Tuesday was officially my first day on the job with the Call2All. My job here is very similar to what it was with the Impact World Tour. I work with local volunteers toward the global congress this June. We’re still in the process of vision sharing and promoting, in not just Hong Kong, but all over Asia. The goal is to have delegates representing every nation on Earth. When we are strategizing to fulfill the great commission, it has to include every country.
Our local committee has welcomed me into their team and we’ve jumped head first into the preparations for the coming congress. I’m still trying to recover from the devastating blow that I won’t be living on Noah’s Ark with animals two by two. I did however attend a vision casting meeting on the ship that made me realize it was quite a blessing to avoid the multiple ferries and train rides required to get to the incredibly secluded island.
For the Call2All Congress we’ll be using the Asia World Expo Center, which just so happens to be one of the most impressive structures I have ever seen. After our visit there on Friday, I came to the conclusion that we could fit the entire population of Hong Kong inside this massive center.
All in all, I’m so grateful for how God went ahead and prepared the way for me to come here. I feel so blessed to wake up here every day and be a part of this ministry. This has been a wonderful induction to my time here, and it only raises the anticipation for what God is up to.
Stay tuned, I’ll be posting pictures as soon as possible! And keep your eye on the best seller list for my up and coming book, Hong Kong for Gringos.

No comments:

Post a Comment