Friday, May 29, 2009

Go time...

It’s 1:18am here in Hong Kong. On any normal night, I’m usually trying my hardest to get some sleep before the clock strikes one, but this is no normal night.

For the past hour I’ve been battling the tile floor of my bathroom with a worn out toothbrush and a bottle of bleach. At least I think it was bleach. I’ve grown accustomed to the fact that labels here serve only to keep the contents of their container a mystery to me, leading to only a few mishaps…Anyway, it was quite confusing to me that no matter how hard I scrubbed, the floor didn’t look any cleaner. So I finally admitted defeat and crawled into bed…for the last time.

Beside me, my two suitcases lay wide open, packed to the brim with the contents of my life here. They’re large suitcases; one entire Sarah will fit snugly inside either one of them. Yes, I checked. This afternoon, my closet was a jumble of shoes and shirts and dresses, now it’s completely bare save for a hanger or two that were there to greet me four months ago, the first time I threw open the closet doors. My drawers have been emptied and the moment my feet touch the floor a few hours from now, my sheets will be in the wash. It’s go time.

I’m still trying to convince myself that the sunrise will bring the day long awaited for. In the morning I’ll wheel my luggage down to the curb, and with a final wave to the building guards, hail a taxi for the last leg of my journey to the Call2All at the AsiaWorld Expo.

Right now we’re in a mad dash for the final preparations in what will be the largest Call2All gathering to date. Come Monday morning we will be welcoming over 2,600 people from over 100 nations around the world to be a part of strategizing the fulfillment of the Great Commission. Amazingly, nearly 700 of those delegates will be making their way from Mainland China. The days will be packed with round table sessions, workshops, and evening rallies that will include the public. But before we can get there, we have three days jam packed with tech set-up, volunteer training, material assembly, and on and on.

There’s always a calm before the storm, and I think these final moments lying here in bed will be it. It’s surreal to think that months of meetings and phone calls and emails and PRAYER all come down this week. And it’s only the beginning of what God is going to do through the people at the Call2all. So tomorrow I’ll say goodbye to the mayhem that has been home for four months, but step into something much greater.

"You will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth." Acts 1:8

2 comments:

  1. Oh Bethie, I wish I was still there!!!! I can picture every detail you've just described and I feel anxious right along with you, in a good way! This week is going to be amazing and you will walk in His presence with great joy!!!
    I love you so much!!!!
    God bless you this week!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's been quite awhile since you've done any posting.
    I miss your writings

    ReplyDelete